Monday, April 5, 2010

The Dragon Ronin Astray WIP


I was planning to enter my Impaler X DevilWings (Sinanju) for the BAKUC, but having noticed (as DonC has) the numerous Sinanjus being built ultimately for the BAKUC, I had a hard time deciding which kit to enter.

Recently, I snapped-built my G05 and my Turn A before that (as a break from the Queen build), and felt I could probably do some major improvements and enhancements, but then realized I like them now as they are and didn't really get any new ideas.

Simply said, I was stuck. With the Queen's pending completion (though I consider this my most ambitious build with all the modifications, I'd rather enter the Queen in another contest), I started working on the 1/60 Clear Astray Bust, and that got me to dig out my built PG RF Astray (I was one of the first few here in Manila to own one, and built it almost as soon as I got it, but boxed it as soon as I was able to take some shots).

Anyways, it dawned on me; maybe I should work on this feller...

Posted Image

Posted Image

After shooting these photos, the darned thing fell from the table and pieces scattered all over. I expected the worse, but luckily, the only thing that broke was the small notch below one of the "ears" where the c-neck part connects to. Panicked, I immediately thought "hey, no worries, I have a pair of extra clear parts, and use those instead," but, the adventurous repairman in me countered "hey, numbskull, you repaired the Big Red's and Queen's pegs, the Big Red's elbow joint, the Impaler's Ankle joint and those other things you manage to break, and you're wimping out on that teeny-weenie notch?"

Posted Image

Sufficed to say I gave in to my more adventurous self, snipped small pieces of 1.0mm styrene, sniffed some cement in the process and snapped the little buggers in place (actually, I cut a small notch near the base of the broken part and inserted on of the plates there for a stronger bond. I also slapped a small piece of 0.4 styrene to reinforce the top).

Posted Image


Preliminary sketches (to showcase my sketching prowess):

This is the original look, with the V-fin slightly redesigned. Might still change it later on.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

  Began making plugs/adapters for the replacement armor.

Posted Image

Used 2mm beams to build the frame prototype for part of the arm armor.

Posted Image

I'll be using some of the clear armor parts as base molds for the modifications.

Posted Image

Front oblique view of the foream.

Posted Image

Used thick bristol board to make templates for the groin armor and temporarily secured the individual pieces with blutac.

Posted Image

The overall design is still evolving, depending on the construction and articulation of the Astray. 



 






7 comments:

giro_gangson said...

kuya, galing mo! idol kita!
pag tapos na po ang 00 qan(t) mo at ito, pls inform me.
i wanna see these works of art!

Matanglawin said...

Thanks. Just visit the blog regularly...

AstrayP03 said...

whoa~ This is awesome!!! :D

Anonymous said...

dude, how do you make those scale on the head decoration!!!!????

Matanglawin said...

Layered paint, using mesh to "mask" the red.

Anonymous said...

wow, now that's what i called masking mastery
got to try that soon!
thx for the idea bro!

Anonymous said...

Wow, very nice modification.
Never seen it like this before...
do u have FB?

The Newbie Stash

Source This is a collection of specific guides for reference in Gunpla Building and Modeling in General.  • Gunpla™ and Modeling Terminolog...