Monday, April 12, 2010

MatX's Mutitones with Spray Cans



The Two Tone effect

What you'll need:

Bosny Flat White (Primer), Bosny 351 Gold, RJL 08+1580 Yamaha Red, sturdy hands and a LOT of patience. (You can use substitute similar type paints that are available in your area, but make sure that the Red you are going to use is semitransparent, meaning, if you spray it over black, you will still see black).

Do this,

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2pm-yLBdpWE

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HJBXRhYj5nM

To achieve this,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sherlock Holmes [Blu-ray]Soldier of Love


When done correctly, the color will look predominantly red, but gold at certain angles, mainly because the paints are sprayed from opposing angles or at least 90 degrees from each other based on the surface you're spraying on.


The Multitone Effect


This is similar to the Two-Tone effect, but instead of flat white, I used flat black as the primer instead. The flat black gives a more earthy and deeper gold brilliance as compared to white.

What you'll need:

Bosny Flat Black (Primer), Bosny 351 Gold, Bosny 67 Honda Red (used as a substitute for RJL 08+1580 Yamaha Red), sturdy hands and a LOT of patience.

Use flat black as primer, then gold at a certain angle/direction (the gold, which is opaque, acts as a buffer for the red which is semi transparent), then red (which should be candy red/yamaha/honda red since metallic red is opaque) at an angle/direction opposite the gold, then another gold layer opposite the red, and so on. So, if you see a predominantly red patch, that's the angle I sprayed from. If I sprayed gold from the right/bottom, I spray red from the left/top.

To create the darker patch, I sprayed short bursts of flat black over the red, and maybe a few more short bursts of red to make it deeper, depending if I feel like it. The texture and depth of the multitone depends on how moist or dry the previous coat was when the new layer is laid.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This works well with contrasting hi-gloss metallic/candy paints. Candy red paints are semi-transparent with thin coats. When applied minutes from each other, applying the next layer just as the previous one is about to dry allows for the paint to blend into each other. Be careful though, when done incorrectly, it can produce unwanted texture, especially when done during transitioning weather, though for me, I use the texture to my advantage when it's just enough.


9 comments:

J_Adrian said...

Will a surface sprayed with flat paint affect the succeeding paints (esp. Gloss ones)? I tried to spray some parts that already had flat coat, and they end up with orange peel, although it's not that noticeable unless up close, and would flat coat remedy orange peels?

Also, are Bosny Chrome/Gold paints enamels? If they are, could you recommend other acrylic-lacquer paints that would substitute those paints? I'm planning to give my Exia's blade some shine.

Matanglawin said...

It may depend on the conditions at the time you sprayed. Flaking or peeling is more a result of improper spraying, uneven drying, dust and oil or humidity. At times though, certain paints won't adhere properly to any type of primer or flat coats, so better test your paints on different surfaces.

You can try Alclad chrome/metallic paints, but they're not really available in cans. Tamiya, Gunze and Mr Color have metallic spray cans, but I haven't really used them. Those who have seem to be happy with the result, though they're a tad expensive.

There's also Kosutte Gin San which is refined powdered graphite that you rub on bare or gloss-painted plastic. Rubbing and polishing it produces a mirror-like finish that is way better than any chrome paint. You can preorder this at R10 (ask M1gs) because it's often out of stock.

J_Adrian said...

Thanks for answering. Got another set of questions though.

Seems that I don't have any other option than Bosny paints, as I'm doing a somewhat rushed job (I'm planning to enter a contest, just for the heck of it). Does the silver paint you used on the Ice Queen behave like the gold paint you used in the Hi-Nu?

Also, if I did:
Silver base (hoping that I get a good silver spray paint) + Bosny Yamaha Red = Pretty shiny red/"Candy"?

TBH, I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll do it anyway.

Matanglawin said...

They behave just about the same so as long as you do thin coats to allow the paint to set. The 1580 Metallic Silver+ 67 Honda Red is what I used for the Ice Queen. The result is already shiny as it is, but I sprayed a thin coat of clear to protect the paint.

You might also want to consider getting the M001 Nickel Alloy paint (the one I used for the Ronin), which is more expensive than the usual metallics but has quite a nice coppery sheen to it.

J_Adrian said...

Thanks for answering. I got my hands on a can of Tamiya Gloss Aluminum though (which roughly costs about 3x more than Bosny paints). I hope this works.

billy101 said...

what is darker? bosny honda red or RJ yamaha red?

the what is the whole name of yamaha red?

Matanglawin said...

They're basically the same.

Anonymous said...

but i buy the bosny honda r-3c red, can i also use that? they said it is candy tone.

Matanglawin said...

Yamaha is also candy tone, and that's the one I used here. I used Honda for the Ronin and the JinX. Both paints are semi-transparent candy tones, and I can make them either lighter or darker by layering flat black with a silver or gold buffer.

The Newbie Stash

Source This is a collection of specific guides for reference in Gunpla Building and Modeling in General.  • Gunpla™ and Modeling Terminolog...