Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Dragon Ronin Astray Part XI

And the Deadline Passed Me By...

The Gerbera Straight and Tiger Pierce blades. I won't be stripping off the chrome, but, I'll just remove the nub marks.

Posted Image

Stripping the gold off the sword parts is soooo slow since I couldn't find Chlorox. Winrox is like Zonrox.

The last picture is after 24 hours of soaking.

Posted Image

Decided not to use the stock backpack since it'll take me more time modifying, so I customized something similar. I used the surplus Strike groin armor as the mold for the build.

Posted Image

Progress of the backpack.

Posted Image

The objects in the last pic are ear cleaners.... 

 The paints...

Posted Image

More back(pack) pains..

Posted Image

Posted Image

The mysterious thingee that has been giving me deja vus...

Posted Image

Initial paint stages...

Posted Image

A technique I used before with the Big Red/HiNu.

Instead of clear/clear gloss, I used flat/matte clear as a top coat, essentially defeating the purpose of the shiny metallic effect, but yielding, at least for me, better results...

Posted Image 

 Subtle color difference between the Tiger Pierce (left) and the Gerbera Straight. I achieved this by varying the coats of Metal Alloy over flat black, then Honda Red. I used Metal Alloy instead of my usual Gold 351 since it gives a more striking and visually better effect.

Posted Image

 The sword guards, pummels and sheath ends finally stripped of its gold coat. There's still a wee bit left, but I'll sand those off.

Posted Image

Gotta love flat black. It's a primer and base coat in one, and gives a nice, deep tone to metallic paints.

Posted Image

Muted metallics.  They look good enough to eat... 

The stock thruster, and the custom.

Posted Image

Another kosutte trial. I will be using a couple of Sinanju H4 thrusters inside the custom ones.

Posted Image

The scabbard/sheath painted with Metal Alloy and the sword guard painted with Metal Alloy + Gold 351.

Posted Image 

The scabbard/sheaths of the Tiger Pierce and Gerbera Straight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The layered armor of the groin guard...

Posted Image 

Presanding, when done right, and the parts are aligned well, basically removes the seamline even without cement. This is perfect for ootb snapbuilding.

Posted Image

The Gerbera Straight (top) and the Tiger Pierce.

Posted Image

Black and Red...

Posted Image 

Posted Image

The yet to be finished Zen Shrine dio.

Posted Image

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the deadline, and even though I still had a few hours left, I'd rather not ruin a good build by rushing it. 

With the head mods, the Ronin's neck looked visually short, so I decided to mod the neck joint and added 3mm, just enough to give it clearance.

I cut away the base of the ball joint from the main connector used 2mm beams and 1mm plates to rebuild the shaft. I then added pegs to the base, drilled holes to the main to make a strong connection.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fits like a glove.

Posted Image

Before and After modifications...

Posted Image

I will have to "thicken" the neck later on. 


Assembly update.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There's a-plenty I need to rework.  Project's on-hold indefinitely...

2 comments:

mojoejoejoe said...

hi there! may i know if its possible, on how you do the hexagon prints? thanks! :)

Matanglawin said...

I used a mesh over a part painted with flat black. The mesh "screens" the gold, creating the mesh effect. Then the red candy tone is layered on without the mesh, highlighting the gold and deepening the black.

The Newbie Stash

Source This is a collection of specific guides for reference in Gunpla Building and Modeling in General.  • Gunpla™ and Modeling Terminolog...