The Dragon Ronin Astray Part V

Skirts are not just for the ladies

While thinking about how to do the other armor parts, I started working on the skirts.

Posted Image

At first, I thought of a fold-type articulation (which is more logical if you think about it), but, this is Gunpla after all. So, I thought of an expanding skirt instead.

I dug out my stash of runners and got a few T-sections. After assessing the situation (since i won't be making it foldable), I made C-joints by dado-jointing two T-sections and later cutting off the excess.

i simply estimated the pivot length i needed by matching the adjoining plates and slightly sliding them on the designated slide side. I cemented "guide" rails to keep the slide aligned.

Posted Image

Voila! It works just as imagined it.

Posted Image 

Having customized the main skirt, I found it necessary to customize the red waist guard to allow maximum movement.

I used the red ABS runner of the Astray for this modification and pieces 0.4mm.1.0mm styrene sandwiched together. I noticed that most ABS runners melt and bond relatively slower than styrene, so I had to apply more pressure and allow a longer curing time than usual before I do any further adjustments.

Posted Image

I also made peg adapters for the skirt with white PS runners and sandwiched styrene plates. I could have simply cemented the peg adapters to the primary skirt, but I got another OC attack and made it removable with a soft slide-lock mechanism, just in case I do decide to make a smaller version of the skirt without the gimmick. The main skirt can actually stand alone (the parts are removable) once the top armor is placed.

Posted Image

Test fit: The waist guard mod, and the skirt peg adapter.

Posted Image

Test fit: The extending skirt. (edit: the x/— marks are identifiers)

Posted Image 


I managed to squeeze building the waist guard. I'm running low on pla plates (gotta get me some soon), so I basically use the small scraps as economically as possible. Instead of sandwiching whole plates, I used 1mm beam instead. I used the same shape, the bottom slightly larger than the top part, and used a strip to fill the gap, beveled to the angle between the plates. Then I filed it smooth.

This is still not final, but I think I'm gonna leave that gap open.

Posted Image 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Demystifying Bosny Spray Cans

MatX's Guide to LED mods

An Objective Review of the Dragon Momoko Tallgeese II