The Tale of the Terrifying Truncated Torso
our local folklore, we have a creature of the night called the
"Manananggal." It is a vampyre/bat hybrid, usually female, and the
reason it's called as such is because it can separate itself at the
waist, with the upper torso transforming itself into a ghoulish form and
grows wings. The mananangal often comes out during the full moon and
hunts for human flesh, preferring the unborn. Of course, it rips the
womb of the unlucky pregnant woman as well as it sucks the unborn fetus.
As as kid, I was terrified of the manananggal more than anything else,
and I often spread salt over our window sill and hang garlic cloves as
well. I outgrew the fear eventually as I entered high school.
was reminded of the creature while working on the Hellraiser mainly
because I had to work on it in sections, but the Truncated Torso bit
came mostly from how the PG WZC was built. It's mid torso "armor" was
made of red rubber, so there's no other way around it but for me to
build that entire section from scratch. That, too became part of the
The rubber torso attaches to four pegs on the chest
frame, and is secured at the bottom by the lower abdominal armor. I
will have to sacrifice full mobility of the torso, especially since it
will have to support heavier wings. I initially planned to make a
single, wrap-around piece (like the rubber piece), but I realized that
won't be possible since the pegs are positioned at the front and the
back of the chest. The rubber part was used because it can be flexed
into position, something that can't be achieved with a solid piece. The
pegs also connects the chest armor parts, so trimming them was out of
I was trying to figure out how to solve the Torso predicament, I
proceeded building the hatch. Like I mentioned on Part I, the
goshdarned torso frame is made of metal, so there was no way for me to
do any other modifications, except to build around it. I had to
disassemble the metal frame quite a few times, which got annoying since
the screws and nuts always manage to fall. I used the original cockpit
seat, trimmed and modified it, and retrofitted it at the front of the
frame using the same fitting for the chest. I then added a 5-layer
sandwich underneath the cockpit seat and shaped it as such to serve as
both support for the seat and as mid brace for the peg attachment of the
swivel mechanism for the hatch. The hatch covering itself is made of
inter-spaced pieces of 1.0 WHIPS with 2mm beam braces, arranged in such a
way to create a rectangular slot for the hatch peg.
This was a
welcome accident, since it allowed the hatch covering to be inserted
with ease, and the action doubles as a locking mechanism for the hatch
when it is closed. I had to remove material from the lower abdominal
armor to give enough space for the hatch.
back to the mid torso, There was no other recourse but build a
three-piece section. I decided to work around the pegs and use them as
mount points for the mid torso. These parts will now be locked onto
position when the chest armor has been mounted.
Next: Shoulders to cry on...
Rather, I had these sent to my school since I was on an off-site training. Bosny Philippines has once again graciously sent me free...
With the intent of going full AB, dropping if not minimizing my use of Bosny spray cans, I got an Airbrush + compressor set from a friend ...
Before anything else here are a couple of useful links regarding LEDs http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm http://www.free-ci...
Note: If you want to comment, identify yourself, with a LINK to your email when you comment, instead of posting as anonymous. I do not all...