Haribon. A monicker given to the Philippine Eagle. It literally means "King of Birds," and much rightly so because the Philippine Eagle is said to be the 3rd largest Eagle in the world. The Haribon is also what will become of the Marasai after modifications. I chose the Marasai as the Haribon's base mainly because its head somewhat resembles a raptor's (at least in my mind's eye, but the power of suggestion is quite, er, powerful, as others have begun seeing what I see. I also chose the Marasai, because it is one of the Zaku-based grunt units I actually liked immediately when I first saw it. I was disappointed with at first, because its frame was also made of PS instead of the usual ABS, but as I was assembling it, the frame seemed and felt like dense polycap (PE) material, was too easy to cut and scratch, especially with a brand new cutter (the old one's spring finally gave way, aside from the fact that it has become dull in 2 years). It behaves like PE material as well; it hugs its fellow plastic, and seem to have a slight elastic memory.
It is as beneficial as it is troublesome in
some aspect when it comes to modifications. Drilling a hole on it is
easy mainly because it's soft, but because of that property, it's quite
hard to enlarge the hole. It's easier to score and cut, but that
easiness somewhat give it the disadvantage when trying to cut it
precisely by freehand, as I was able to do so with regular PS armor
parts. But, since it's still PS, cement remains the hero of the day.
Not, Want Not. I modified the frame first to make extensions. I
started with widening the shoulders by 5mm on each side. This was done
by cutting the chest/shoulder frame near alongside the area where the
shoulder armor is attached. This resulted in 3 pieces each for the back
and front ends of the frame. I then rebuilt the frame, back parts first
(waiting around an hour to let the cement set), so I can align the front
parts freely as I add reinforcements using 1mm WHIPS and 2mm beams.
then proceeded with the waist/abdomen extension, but this is in
conjunction with the groin joint placement. I will "explain" the groin
mod first and you will see why later on.
The groin joint of the
Marasai, like that of the Zaku 2.0 is a side swivel and not a center
swivel like that of the MG SInanju and the MG Hi-Nu. It also does not
have front<>back swivel like the Hi-Nu and The O does (as well as some HG
kits), which changes the kit's upper body equilibrium point from
front-heavy<>back-heavy. This is a bit problematic for me, since I
plan to give the Haribon some heavy backpack additions. The detail of
the groin part does indicate that it should have that feature.
turning the leg/groin joint won't work, as it will put the thigh way up
front into the front skirt's domain, so a radical, but simple mod is
needed. I had to cut the whole groin placement section and reverse its
placement relative to the front of the groin assembly.
then rebuilt the part by sandwiching WHIPS and beams within the inner
section to act as dovetails for the outer section to hold on to. When
this was done, as I mentioned earlier, I cut the ball part of the
waist/abdomen joint, drilled a 2.8mm hole into the ball, stuck a
5mm<1cm>5mm piece of 5mm round beam, with ends shaved down to 3mm.
I also mentioned earlier that the frame material act as if it was
polycap material, so I'm careful to make the hole big enough for a snug
fit, because the material will do the rest. When done correctly, the
mod can stand without cement, but, I wasn't going to take any chances
especially with high tension parts.
As such, this is a 2-4-1 modification.
Height comparison with the Shin Matsunaga Zaku.
high. With the waist/groin modification curing, I proceeded working on
the thigh extension. I had lofty ideas of cutting the lower peg that
connects to the thigh away and extending it at the middle, and extending
the thigh frame itself, but I guess my experience with the Bathala's
modifications learned me a thing or two about thinking out of the box to
see a simpler and faster solution.
And give me one it did.
Instead of doing either, I kept the peg intact, and instead cored it (I cemented the parts together first,
stuck a 5mm<2cm length of 5mm beam, and encapsulated it with an 8mm
clear pipe with a 5mm~ inside diameter (Note, these pipes I've had since
I started heavy mods 3 years ago). The extended peg goes way into the
thigh frame, and since it's held only by a 2mm thick PC part, it's a bit
too wobbly for comfort (I exaggerate, it's not really that wobbly, but
I'm not taking any chances), I reinforced one side the inner section of
the thigh with another piece of 8mm pipe, to "hold" the extended peg
within the thigh.
Away. Though extending the thigh didn't visually drastically affect
the proportion (at least to me, because of the Marasai's huge feet, and
you know what they say about huge feet), I "cheated" by extending the
ankle joint instead of the leg, and will later thicken it up.
instead lengthen the armor parts, or, I might just cover them up with
"feathers" similar to the scales I did on the Ronin, but longer, or I
might not use them at all for an exposed frame effect with a few details
here and there.
Height comparison, with the Zaku, and my headless, dilapidated Zeta A1 (this proves Gunpla ARE NOT TOYS, especially since I wasn't even playing with any of them).
That's it for now...
Rather, I had these sent to my school since I was on an off-site training. Bosny Philippines has once again graciously sent me free...
With the intent of going full AB, dropping if not minimizing my use of Bosny spray cans, I got an Airbrush + compressor set from a friend ...
Before anything else here are a couple of useful links regarding LEDs http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm http://www.free-ci...
Note: If you want to comment, identify yourself, with a LINK to your email when you comment, instead of posting as anonymous. I do not all...