Leg up! Modifications are tricky. Sometimes, I get to modify a lot of parts in a couple of days or so, sometimes, It takes several to modify just one part, especially when I have to get back to it to make repairs and additional modifications. This rarely happens when marrying PS to PS plastic, but often when marrying PS and ABS. In my experience so far, not all ABS plastics are created equal when it comes to combining them with polystyrene in modifications. The toughness of ABS when it comes to cutting and bonding it with cement varies with the color it comes in. The gold ABS frame of the MG Strike Freedom is rather soft, whereas the grey ABS frames of both the Sinanju and the Unicorn are indeed tough, but, since there are no polycaps for the joints, are susceptible to humidity and temperature change, that, when left posed for a long time, tend to stick. The upside of that is that they are also easy to bond to PS with cement, though, I have learned it's always best to reinforce joins. Next on the list is the PG RFA's red ABS frame. Though it melts upon contact with cement, and oozes when it undergoes pressure during bonding, it also tends to grow brittle over time.
The toughest so far (and you can test this yourself) is the
black (or dark)-colored ABS frames (PG 00, MG Wing EW series, The O).
Though similar to the red ABS in toughness, this one barely melts on
contact with cement, unless I really rub the surfaces together. When
the bonded surface dries, the ABS quickly lets go when stress is
applied. Since I have the habit of modifying high-stress parts like
joints, this is a major issue that I have to contend with, especially
since for such a huge kit, the MG The O manages to have too small a part
to modify easily.
So, after the nth test fit and it giving way
(slightly, if I may add. The beam modification actually holds, but the
external HIPS/ABS join is stubborn), I decided on applying the
reinforcement mod I have been trying to avoid.
I shaved off about
0.5mm from the surface of the ABS/HIPS on the modified leg section (red
area) and leveled it with a file. Using the 0.5mm WHIPS (White High
Impact PolyStyrene) I recently acquired, I cemented a piece to merge the
problematic joins together. I then encapsulated the edge with the
same, saturating the joins with extra thin cement and applied pressure,
especially on the radial part.
this case, I waited for 12 hours before re-beveling the edges with a
file and smoothing it with a 600-grit sandpaper. The one on the left
is untouched, the one on the right has already been re-beveled.
Spared Parts. I have a LOT of spare parts, from various kits and stuff. Some, I've used to build the X-Walker,
some, still waiting to be part of something else. In some cases when I
do modifications, I do cut certain sections that have promising use, so
I keep them whenever I can. Care to venture a guess which kit/s I got
these from, and what will become of the parts on the second picture?
The O is a HUGE kit. As such, it's not really strange that it has big
feet. Nevertheless, that logic didn't stop me from stripping the side
sections off because I think they look silly anyways (whatever practical
use it may have). This one took the better part of 4-5 days to
complete, from cutting, filing, attaching the new surface (using the
1.0mm WHIPS) and waiting for it to cure for 24 hours, then finally
cutting away the excess and filing it again for good measure to make it
seamless. I also cut the midsection for that "Kampfer" look.
the lower shine/ankle extension looking too thin compares to the
overall kit, adding volume to it is essential. I cut several 8mm clear
tubes (with a pipe cutter), and made a pair of this nifty little bugger.
This slips into the remodified ankle to simply add volume and detail.
Rather, I had these sent to my school since I was on an off-site training. Bosny Philippines has once again graciously sent me free...
With the intent of going full AB, dropping if not minimizing my use of Bosny spray cans, I got an Airbrush + compressor set from a friend ...
Before anything else here are a couple of useful links regarding LEDs http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm http://www.free-ci...
Note: If you want to comment, identify yourself, with a LINK to your email when you comment, instead of posting as anonymous. I do not all...