The X Walker Part X

 
Like I mentioned previously, this is the last update for this project, and since this is the last, it's a major one. I haven't been able to work on this much because I got stumped on how to finish the cockpit, and one of the weapons mount broke, so I had to rethink that as well.

The original mounts, being spare shoulder parts of the Astray, were flimsy as it were even without the weapons, so I needed something that would hold the weapons as well as keep it in a swiveled position. The mishap, as always, got me to build something better in the end.

I used a couple of 8mm revolver/revoltech joints to replace the ones I have used. I was hesitant to do so at first because these joints are rare and are quite hard to come by. I got a set of 10mm single and 6mm double joints aside from the 8mm double joints last year with a clear intent on using them on a project, but haven't been able to use them. I might use the lot of them later for the Turn X and the Masurao.

Posted Image

Posted Image


I encased the joints with HIPS shaped to compliment the form of the Walker itself. The construction allows for a full 90 degrees swivel, but it also allows the mount to extend a bit from its pivot point.

Posted Image

Posted Image


Back view of the joints/mount assembly.

Posted Image

More bending gymnastics.

Plaplates and HIPS are easier to bend when they're large enough to be bent. Smaller pieces however are a bit finicky to bend into a curve properly, especially when they are already cut into shape. This piece is for the one of the Shin Guard face plates.

Posted Image

The trick is to bend it horizontally, then at 45 degrees alternately, then when it's soft enough, bend it vertically, instead of bending it vertically right away. Using a pipe or a round beam allows for an even bend.

Posted Image

With that, the piece is easier to mount on the curved surface of the faceplate.

Posted Image

Posted Image


The Skull face plate.

Posted Image

Of cocks and pits.

Not to sound too kinky, I've decided to make a removable cockpit instead of simply covering up the middle part of the main body. I even thought of making a dockable flyer, but, with the time constraint, I guess a cockpit would be enough.

Scrounging for more parts, I opted to use my extra Lowe Gule pilot figure and modified the hair, making the Walker a 1/100 scale. Funny thing is, I can use a 1/60 figure as well. I also used the Haro unit from my MG Exia for the dashboard, a Kotobukiya part for the seat, and a few extra parts from the PG Astray for the canopy. I brought them all together with HIPS, beams and a dash of my homemade cement.

Posted Image

Posted Image


I also placed tracks on the back of the cockpit so it slides snugly into the tracks on the main body. The front of the cockpit locks via a tongue-and-slot assembly.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image


That's it.  The X Walker is complete, sans finishing and painting, which I will do so later.  I've been itching to start the Turn X conversion and have actually started dismantling my MG Turn A and assessing the parts I could use and retain, and how I can mold over the conversion parts, but instead of using putty, I'll be using mostly plaplates and HIPS.  I'm determined to do this one well, for it might be used as basis for a resin conversion kit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Demystifying Bosny Spray Cans

MatX's Guide to LED mods

An Objective Review of the Dragon Momoko Tallgeese II