Friday, August 6, 2010

The Itch is now a RASH!


(And this tutorial is ALMOST becoming a WIP).  I thought once I've done the knee mods I'll be done and over with this thing, but modifying the knees and putting it in kneeling position exposed the rather obvious proportionality flaws of the Unicorn (the main reason I didn't like it back then, just looking at the box art). Even at Unicorn mode, the lower legs are too long and the thighs are too short. Even putting the thighs in Destroy mode didn't compensate for the difference.

Posted Image




The Unicorn's torso, like most MS designs, is short, far too short for any decent articulation when the armor is attached (even in Destroy mode), thus rendering the inner frame articulation mechanism utterly useless. The skirts also hinder the legs' movement, aside from the fact that the waist-groin allowance is too small.

Posted Image


At least, it can do this:

Posted Image


The Unicorn Needs Bigger ABS. As in, abdominals, and a lower torso extension. It usually takes me hours, sometimes even days, to pick out a solution to an articulation or extension mod for most of the mods I have done so far, that I even dream about some of them when I sleep. For this one, I had two choices; build an entirely new articulation system for the torso that connects to the chest psychoframe and to the waist frame, or, simply build an adapter that connects the two and extends the torso as well. I opted for the latter and came up with this.

Posted Image


I replicated the connective parts separately by layering shaped plaplates that basically mimics the connectivity of the counterpart, then merged the two together with cement.

The result, at least an additional 10mm torso length I may adjust this a bit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It can now bend sideways, forwards and backwards.

Posted Image


I will just have to rebuild the Armor from scratch to compensate for the extension. With the lower frame and legs assembled sans armor.

Posted Image


Kinda reminds you of the RG frame, eh?

No comments:

The Newbie Stash

Source This is a collection of specific guides for reference in Gunpla Building and Modeling in General.  • Gunpla™ and Modeling Terminolog...