Sunday, July 15, 2012

"BATHALA" - PMX-003 MG The O vMatX Part V

Symmetrical Solipsism. Symmetry is always a tricky matter especially when doing symmetrical parts at separate times. I started these at the same time, but, as it went, I had to redesign them to make them streamline. The problem wasn't avoiding having to redo the parts, but rather, making them symmetrical at mid-stage of the build. So I had to employ a few old tricks maybe a few of you already know.

We generally use masking tape to mask parts during painting, and maybe keep cemented parts in place as they bond and cure. But, I also use masking tape to achieve curved-parts symmetry by applying tape over the curved surface I want to replicate, marking the edges I want to copy with a pencil, then apply that over a slab of WHIPS (or plaplate). I then simply cut the part along the lines I've made, adjusting the cut as needed, then flip the cut part. With this technique, I can achieve very close symmetry with little room for error.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image


Using the same masking tape technique, I outlined the main half-leaf shape. Since I've already braced the outer edge of the layered armor, and with the marking tape curving in instead of out, I have an extra millimeter or so to contend with with the replicated mirror-version of the armor. This can be adjusted later on.

Posted Image Posted Image

The rest is easy. All I had to do in this case is mirror the ribbing and connective parts.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image


Then pencil marks are planned details, which most probably done with 0.5mm WHIPS.

No comments:

The Newbie Stash

Source This is a collection of specific guides for reference in Gunpla Building and Modeling in General.  • Gunpla™ and Modeling Terminolog...