Skirting by. I decided to modify the the front skirts to more appropriate proportions, reducing the width in the process. I cut the ball joints and one of the vent connections on each of the skirt frames, then cut the skirt armor along the length of the thicker section. I then cut the side section to remove a few millimeters. I then made a new connective framework by merging the connective ball joint with a shaped WHIPS, reinforced at the edge with 3mm beams. I then rebuilt the armor with WHIPS, maintaining the vent connector. These will undergo further detailing.
also rebuilt the midsection of the the rear skirt by modifying a spare
part from my PG Astray kit (coincidentally, this is also a rear skirt
section) and modifying the frame to add shape, detail and volume
overall. The assembly comes three sections for easier painting later
but not least, I've decided to build the rear skirts entirely from
scratch, mainly because the modified stock skirts seemed off, and any
further modifications would be a waste of time. Unlike the Front
skirts, I'll be making these in once-piece sections, mainly because of
the curvature I need to accomplish.
Prototyping frustration. Initially, the rear skirts looked nice to me,
that is, until I've wrapped the top part. At this stage the flaws of my
design bared its teeth, with the curves looking forced and uneven. I
was going to simply cover it with my planned layered armor design, but
that also posed a problem since even though it's a single piece, the
thing got too heavy with all the thickening I had to do to get enough
surface area on the edges for the curved surface to adhere to. So, I
had to do a "quick" rethink.
At this point, I was already working on the layered armor for the initial design by curving shaped pieces of WHIPS.
Without using heat, one can get a more spherical curve by combining
smaller curved pieces. I prefer doing it this way since the armor is
layered after all, and I can still make small adjustments later on.
I was working on the layered armor, I decided to make the darn thing a
two-piece assembly. I used the initial failed skirt as a mold for the
layered armor, removed the top ugly part, and kept the base as it was,
made adjustments as needed and mounted 3mm beams (that will serve as
connectors). I added "ribs" on the inside part of the armor, which
doubles as connective stops for the frame base.
original one piece skirt with the two-piece redesign side-by-side
justified my frustration earlier on. Aside from having a better,
streamlined shape, the two-piece assembly is actually lighter than the
single piece without the layered armor.
using WHIPS exclusively now (I still have a whole 1.0mm, cut 0.5mm and
0.3mm Tamiya plaplates), to test its useability. Compared to plaplates,
WHIPS are sifter and easier to cut, shape and bend. Filing and sanding
is also a non-issue, though the softness does take a bit of getting
Rather, I had these sent to my school since I was on an off-site training. Bosny Philippines has once again graciously sent me free...
With the intent of going full AB, dropping if not minimizing my use of Bosny spray cans, I got an Airbrush + compressor set from a friend ...
Before anything else here are a couple of useful links regarding LEDs http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm http://www.free-ci...
Note: If you want to comment, identify yourself, with a LINK to your email when you comment, instead of posting as anonymous. I do not all...