Power to the Pistons
currently working on the fuselage and cockpit designs, letting them run
in my head for a while mainly to incorporate how the hip will connect
to the fuselage. With it was an incessant itch (that I have had since
the initial build) to add a dual opposing piston that will run and
connect the back of the thigh to the front of the knee in between the
knee intermediary. This serves both as void filler, as well as
functional mobility to the leg, which theoretically speaking, gives the
leg more hydraulic power and support.
Instead of the usual
exposed piston barrels like what I have done previously, I decided to
encapsulate these in a plaplate "box." On very rare occasions, I do use
superglue for quick bonding work, as well as the fact that these tubes
are unaffected by cement. I glued the pistons on a slab of 1mm HIPS,
cut it to size, and glued the other side. I then cemented a small piece
of HIPS on each end, boring holes aligned to the tubes. I then
cemented 0.5mm HIPS on the sides.
drilled holes 1mm + 0.5mm deep on the wider side of the box, rounded
the tips of 3mm round beams, and cemented them into place. I made the
usual T-shaped beams for the shafts.
box piston will be held in place by the side pegs, which in turn will
move freely along the length of the knee intermediaries. I ran this
scenario over my head quite a few times as I was doing the foot and the
shin armor when I realized that that section will look rather empty.
modified the thigh and shin frames to fit the box piston by cutting
away a bit of material from each that come into contact when the leg is
folded. I also added a few strips on the calf section of the leg, both
to reinforce the part and as detail prep. The thigh and shin "cheek"
frame intermediaries were also "slightly" modified to hold the T-shafts
of the pistons. Though the modifications were simple enough, I made a
few mistakes aligning the holes, so I had to plug and re-drill a few
times, which took a lot of time just waiting for the cemented plugs to
actual measurements and just basing it on visual estimates, the box
piston fits perfectly inside the void of the legs (which I had to
modify) when the assembly is folded.
order for this to work, the intermediaries had to be modified as well.
I drilled 1mm holes 2cm apart and drew a straight line between them,
drilled a few more holes, and progressively enlarged the holes to 3mm to
fit the box piston pegs. I shaved of the excess plastic with a knife,
then filed the surface smooth.
fit. I wasn't sure if this will work, or will lock the entire knee
assembly, ruining hours upon hours of work and imagination, but
sometimes, I do amaze myself when something this random actually works
the first time I do it.
Trivia: This is one of the rare posts wherein I didn't need to include a thumbnail...
Rather, I had these sent to my school since I was on an off-site training. Bosny Philippines has once again graciously sent me free...
With the intent of going full AB, dropping if not minimizing my use of Bosny spray cans, I got an Airbrush + compressor set from a friend ...
Before anything else here are a couple of useful links regarding LEDs http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm http://www.free-ci...
Note: If you want to comment, identify yourself, with a LINK to your email when you comment, instead of posting as anonymous. I do not all...